Are you planning on investing your time and money in a website for your organization?
Well, I have some questions for you. There are many things to consider before you even contact a web designer, or agency. And you would do well to ask yourself and your team as many of these questions as possible.
General Questions you may need to answer
- Have you been through the complete web design and development process before?
- Is this a brochure site, or a blog?
- Who is your audience?
- Who are your competitors?
- What are the website addresses of your competitors?
- How many other companies have you talked to?
- What is your main message?
- Did you or someone else register the domain?
- Do you have hosting?
- How familiar are you with search engine optimization and best practices?
- What are several websites you like?
- Do you or anyone on your staff have Photoshop or other image editing software?
- Do you need search engine help?
- Does the site launch need to coincide with a product launch or any other important milestone?
- Do you need a content management system?
- Do you currently have a website?
- How important is search engine ranking to you?
Most important questions
- What is your time frame?
- What do you need your website to do?
- Do you need ecommerce?
- Do you need a contact form?
- Do you need social media tools built in, like Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, etc.
- Is there any specific functionality you need?
- Do you need this to integrate with your existing identity pieces?
- Is your content ready to be published?
- How often do you need to update the site?
- What is your budget?
- Are you or anyone on your staff familiar with HTML and CSS?
Your likes and dislikes
- Describe the style of website you are looking for?
- What are several websites that you like the look of?
- What bugs you the most about websites?
- Do you have a catalog or brochure?
- Will you be providing creative direction?
You already have a website, but it’s time for a refresh
- How long have you had a website?
- How are you going to maintain the site?
- How do people find your current website?
- When is the last time you updated the site?
- Are you in touch with the original designer?
- Is the original developer still available?
- Do you have access to the web server?
- Do you have control over the domain?
- Do you have the Pantone numbers for your current company colors?
- Do you need any other promotional material?
- Have you considered redesigning your logo?
- Have you considered taking a fresh look at your corporate identity? This a good time to consider refresh or an entirely new identity.
- Do you need a business card and letterhead?
- Do you need any other graphic design help?
- How familiar are you with web standards and web design best practices?
- How important is customization to you?
- Will you want or need help in making changes? If so, would you need help routinely?